The San Francisco Boardsailing Association (SFBA) is a California not-for-profit organization incorporated in 1986…..
- To ensure that Windsurfers, Kiteboarders, and Wing Foilers (Boardsailors) have access to San Francisco Bay
- To create and improve boardsailing launch sites and facilities; and
- To promote and enhance boardsailing safety and related education.
To Achieve this Mission, SFBA:
- Initiates & builds consensus for and contributes to launch site access improvements and enhancements;
- Actively sponsors safety, outreach, and other special events
- Participates in the planning processes for special events, development, reuse and redevelopment of public and private properties adjacent to San Francisco and Tomales Bays;
- Engages in all activities which may impact, threaten or enhance the recreational uses of boardsailing in the Greater San Francisco Bay Area
In pursuit of these objectives, SFBA representatives work closely with local, state, and federal officials to address all proposed shoreline development and special events which might impact Bay access and/or wind quality and to create opportunities for improving access and facilities. We extensively partner with like-minded organizations to achieve these goals. Throughout its history, SFBA has remained active at the following sites (and more - we just didn't finish the map yet:) ):
SFBA also hosts and sponsors Boardsailing and Kiteboarding training and safety events, and conducts annual training for US Coast Guard and USCG Auxiliary personnel in the rescue of Boardsailors and Kiteboarders. Because USCG personnel already know how to save lives, these early-season training events focus on the best ways to retrieve our fellow windsurfers and kiters and it gives new USCG rescue personnel their very first hands-on experience in handling and safe retrieval of equipment.
SFBA posts safety information at as many access points as possible and provides Bay Area boardsailing and kiteboarding information online. SFBA Board of Directors and Site Stewards are readily available to assist anyone with safety or access questions through our "contact us" button on this website.
SFBA operates with 100% Volunteers and its activities are funded by membership dues and donations. Your annual membership dues (think donation or contribution) go entirely to support boardsailing and kiteboarding in the Bay Area.
JOIN US HERE
Your contributions fund several on-site cameras, several underwater hazard marker buoys, launch site porta-potties, kiteboarding training events, safety events, outreach events, membership parties and BBQs, and launch site improvements. Under the stewardship of SFBA, members and foundations have also directly contributed funds, professional expertise and personal time for everything from site improvements (piling removal, shoreline access, launch ramp feasibility studies and designs, etc.) to beach cleanups to introductory instruction to advanced coaching to the enhancement of training center facilities and donation of a windsurfing simulator.